23.3.09

Tea Drawings Project / 2





The reason why I would like to develop environmentally-friendly patterns is that the approaches and attempts to create those patterns are rather timid and little in comparison with attempts which have done in other design sectors. However, at the beginning, I confronted a big obstacle. How can surface patterns be sustainable? Does it mean that I have to design patterns which can persist for a long time?

In the end, I have decided to make patterns communicating sustainable messages to people. So I have observed oriental philosophies which concern nature and its importance and I realised that the notion of Taoism could be the one that I have pursued. Prior to designing, I closely looked at the notion of Taoism.

The most important disciplines of Taoism is being in harmony with nature and living in accordance with natural laws. To lead a simple life following Taoism, we should go back to the beginning because even a big tree starts with a small seed and end up its life returning to the earth and being a small seed once again. Taoists believe that this is the natural law and its cycle. I also believe that this is the huge, irresistible flow and movement of nature and the one I would like to visualise and deliver through my designs.



YUMI CHON

No comments:

Post a Comment